Many things set HCA Healthcare apart from other healthcare organizations, but at our core, our greatest strength is our people.
Every day, more than 281,000 colleagues across our enterprise share a dedication to making a positive impact on our patients, communities and each other. To ensure we have the right people in place to deliver on our mission, we actively nurture a collaborative culture built on inclusion, compassion and respect. Beginning in 2018, we are investing up to $300 million over three years toward programs that support our colleagues’ career development, their families and their lives. Our robust programming ensures that colleagues are supported in their career and education goals and have opportunities to grow as clinicians and leaders.
Together, we are building world-class workplace experiences for our colleagues and new candidates, which ultimately improves care for patients.
Investments in Professional Development
- Colleagues who return to school to pursue new or advanced degrees can receive up to $5,250 in tuition reimbursement per year for eligible higher education courses and expenses, along with access to financial advisors and education counselors.
- Nursing education is critical to our success and we are proud to have Galen College of Nursing, Research College of Nursing and Mercy School of Nursing as educational facilities within the HCA Healthcare family. We also provide nurses access to our list of pre-screened accredited universities that we trust to deliver convenient, quality education.
- HCA Healthcare offers monthly student loan assistance to help colleagues repay education loans, and provides financial wellness coaching to help select the best repayment or refinancing plans.
- We support colleagues who want to obtain specialty clinical certifications by paying upfront testing costs, providing test preparation materials and reimbursing costs after successful completion of a certification exam. Colleagues also receive bonuses for achieving nationally recognized certifications beyond their current position.
- Our Centers for Clinical Advancement offer training on best practices and share expertise from across the enterprise to help nurses feel confident and competent in various patient care situations. These centers enable experts to engage in real-time sessions that simulate high-risk situations using mannequins to assess patients and develop treatment plans. Simulated situations range from cardio pulmonary emergencies to NICU patient care.
- 2,870 nurses earned certification through our voucher program
- $70.8M in student loan assistance, tuition reimbursement and certification support
- 22,892 colleagues received loan repayment assistance
We conduct regular engagement surveys, available in four languages, to collect feedback across the enterprise. Managers receive survey results in less than a week, enabling the close-to-real-time action plan development and improvement that is vital to our success.
We maintain our standards of excellence through leadership that embraces our culture and fosters our commitment to serve our communities. The HCA Healthcare Leadership Institute develops people from within our organization ― and attracts the best talent from outside of it ― to help grow our organization and serve as leaders for the whole industry. The institute also supports executive transitions when colleagues move into new leadership positions or into a new facility.
- Director development programs are available for leaders in emergency, surgical or critical care/ICU service lines who want to increase their leadership skills or move into a director position.
- The Physician Leadership Academy prepares physicians as they transition from clinical care into executive leadership.
- Leadership Development Institutes (LDI) offer half or full-day sessions focused on ongoing growth and development for our division leaders.
HCA Healthcare Hope Fund
The HCA Healthcare Hope Fund was established in 2005 so that colleagues could provide support to fellow colleagues impacted by natural disaster, illness, injury, domestic violence, the death of a loved one or any number of unavoidable hardships. Since then, our Hope Fund has become a deeply appreciated part of our culture and has grown to help more than 35,000 families, including 2,938 in 2019.
$7.7M in Hope Fund grants was distributed in 2019, totaling $56M in grants distributed since 2005.Download our Supporting Colleagues Information