HCA Healthcare is committed to creating the safest community of care possible.
Our patients, colleagues and loved ones should feel secure and know they are in good hands when they are in our care. We strive to ensure that safety is never a concern by investing in clinical studies, state of the art protocols, security technology, colleague training and more.
Patient safety can be greatly improved when we learn from our network of care locations and facilities. We are focused on proactively identifying risks and increasing security protections enterprise-wide:
- We have created a robust safety learning organization where we use safety science and systems engineering to redesign and improve our processes.
- Our Patient Safety Organization provides a coordinated, systematic and evidence-based approach to safety across the enterprise, and supports our operators in safety improvement initiatives.
- In 2019, we began development and piloting of our next-generation adverse event management system that will provide real-time, comprehensive insights into patient safety within our facilities.
- More than 3,000 healthcare-trained security officers help protect our sites of care.
- In 2019, more than 170,000 of our colleagues completed training in areas such as de-escalation, situational awareness and active shooter preparedness.
- HCA Healthcare provides access to LiveSafe, a security app, so all colleagues can instantly text or call local security with concerns.
- We use advanced camera, alarm, access control and exterior lighting technologies throughout our hospital campuses.
- All of our colleagues receive annual training on how to handle and protect sensitive patient data.
- We comply with regulatory requirements around data protection, from HIPAA to Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards, and conduct internal and/or external audits annually to assure compliance.
- We have a team, policies and procedures dedicated to provisioning, managing and terminating user access to ensure patient data security.